- Think first: Whatever song on guitar, no matter how difficult you can always find an easy tab to work with. Same for most things in life, if you pause and think for a moment, there is usually an easier way to do it.
- Luck matters: sometime a lot, in your career. And getting along with your boss is like a leverage, sometimes it can make your life 100x easier. ALSO first impression lasts. Reputation lasts longer. And both are hard to change, whether they are good or bad. No matter what they said, people judge, don’t ever forget.
- Last minute revisions: It’s easy and seemingly unavoidable to pull last minute revisions, but it doesn’t usually end well. Last minute revisions can get you a 2:2, remembering the entire year materials can earn you a 2:1 and only understanding it will get you a 1st.
- Book is your best friend: There’s an answer to everything in books. Just need to keep on reading (or search for the right title).
- Managing Finance: Eating out everyday is the easiest and fastest way of burning money in London. Never manage finance using bank balance – Your bank balance is the pretty little liar that is usually 3-4 days lagged of what it actually holds. A woman’s wallet of size 20cmx10cmx5cm can be reduced to 10 essential items that fits a card holder of size 5cmx4cmx2cm.
- Helping people: If you have helped many others, there are others who are willing to help you. However, the favor usually (and almost always) doesn’t come from the same person nor immediately. And there exists many “how are you” people who never talk for you in years but only comes to you when they need help – help them anyway if you have the resource. But to an extent only, remember, too much philanthropy at young ages kills. As Joker says “if you are good at something, never do it for free”.
- Stay away from toxic relationships: those that drag you down, upset you and/or your loved ones, or bring you on a one-way road of going no where. In the end our time are too limited to be wasted on ones that don’t appreciate us as much as we do to them.
- Christmas: No where opens on Christmas Day including China Town and Chinese supermarket, except Indian restaurants. You can also order Indian takeaway online at 3-4-5am on usual days. (Tried and tested)
- Sport: Golf bears a resemblance to life.
- The more relax your hand is hitting the balls, the further it goes. Living an intense life keeping scores can get you nearer to your ultimate goal, but won’t you hit the exact hole that matter.
- To become a good golfer you must hold great imagination (of what your shot will look like even before hitting), just like in life when you need to achieve something you must dream/imagine your paths.
- No golfer can hit the ball, not to say to control its direction, without perfect balance and a calm mind.
- And to contribute to the success of a golfer, there are usually partner and caddy. Same in life, crucial to your success are two types of people: one that is your trusted adviser and one that is capable of handling your mess and support you in the background.
The greatest asset that a man can possess is the ability to fix himself: self-criticise, truly understand his weakness and do something about it. In the end, remember the 3A rule: the difference between ambitions and achievements is actions.
2013 was a good year. 2014 can be better.
I have collected over 100 of myself and my friends’ cover letters and published it at Cover Letter Library to help you. This member-only library includes successful cover letters from people who secured jobs at all major investment banks, big 4 firms and other. Check it out 🙂
Illustration by my friend at ANML Studio. Check out her IG and support by buying her art @anmlstudio
I am also active on Instagram too! Follow me @official.mai.le